Funny Games


The problem  I had with the film does not come from the film itself, but Haneke's pretentious statements about creating a film against violence portrayed with entertainment porpouses, something that I truly appreciate; but, Michael, my man, Did you had to make it so fucking funny?! This is one of the most stressfull films I've seen, it has great suspenful sequences, the "metafilmin" works perflectly well to make us reflect about the GENRE, listen well Michi, THE THRILLER/HORROR GENRE, its topics and manners to put the public under pressure and stress, and the best part of this is that he makes a really good genre movie, with long static shoots and lots of tension. But if I wouldn't have read about what the director said about it would had been harder to search for the mentioned reflections and condemnation about violence. Do you want a good film that condemns violence used with entertainment popouses in the media and its also violent? Watch Cronenberg's Videodrome (1986). Oh, Haneke. I really would like to call this one a favorite, I appreciate Haneke's films a lot and I'm sure he had great and good intentions. In Caché (2005) he masterfully uses the shock-value to talk about rascism, and in Amour (2012) he gave his pure and honest vision of the meaning of love, or at least created the film that made me cry the most. But the meta-contradictions, created by the director's statements, on Funny Games (1997) rest a lot to my appreciation of the film. Remember this is a film, and by its nature it must speak for itself. In favor of Haneke I would say that in the anticlimactic ending would show how pointless the use of violence sometimes it's, but it also that putted a comic frame to the entire film, so I don't know.

Now, I understand why Lynch never wants to elaborate on that.

Comments