The act of seeing with one's own eyes

From what I've seen of Stan Brakhage this is the most different, because it's not an abstract moving painting.Here he portraits human autopsies, with a documentary style that surprisingly turned in something as abstract and strange because of what he is portraying, the labyrinth of a human body. Something that would proably seem as the work of a snuff production company or medical material, but thanks to the experimental glance it's poetic, in his very own terms, and less disturbing that, at first sight, would seem. With his 16mm-Mekas-esque camera, Brakhage becomes the inside of dead bodies his canvas and give us a beautiful tour, that at one point, for how "plastic" (I can't think in other word, excuse me, this is not my native language) everything looked, made me question if it was a montage, especially at the scene of the autopsy the female's body. I would never imagine how disposable and labyrinthine a body could be.

Something else remarkable about the film is that the "home movie" aura that the pictures have it's complemented by barely perceptible blurring and deforming and blending the bleedy images. Long live to the meat.

This is something that you don't watch every day, and that's why I decided to put in the background while doing a homework about prehispanic law, so it was even more strange, but I honestly don't find another watching this that it's not doing something else (because it will make you look away at some point anyway) and with music by Erick Satie in the background (that's how the YT video was) the experience became meditative and a inevitable bizarre. Probably this is better a background for a Halloween party, but also a worth watching shortfilm, if you're interested in bodies and haven't lunched yet. And I'll probably will continue watching films while doing my stuff, who knows how that will complement the experience (but I also don't have too much time so I think it's the best way to don't stop my movie watching activity).







Comments